Monday 29 September 2008

Week 7 - Library Thing, Del-icio.us, Tagging etc

I can imagine old school cataloguers being up in arms about the tagging going on in Library Thing - all those amateurs making up their own subject headings!

There is scope for Library Thing to be useful for our customers who want to keep track of the books they are reading or have read. But then again, there are a lot of those tools out there that are just as good. Good Reads is another site that does the same thing but without the tagging.

I have been aware of del.icio.us for some time and it seems like a good idea in theory but is a bit clunky for my liking and tiresome to look around. Hats off to Sutherland Libraries for bookmarking HSC Pages but I wonder is it useful to their customers or just another place to look at? It seems to me in these time poor times the one stop shop is what people want.

No comments: